Monday, June 1, 2015

The Tube Diet

I want to explain something that people commonly think about tube fed people. We may have a medical reason for a feeding tube, but that doesn't mean we are always sick. In fact there is a big misconception about feeding tubes. A lot of people commonly and understandably think feeding tubes make you sick. But in reality a person who has a feeding tube can't for whatever reason gain enough nutrition by mouth to sustain themselves. So a feeding tube is a tool that replaces the missing nutrition. Which in turn makes the tube fed person healthier because now they can get proper nutrition. Sure we may live off formula and yes a tube is scary at first. (For anyone) but at the end of the day we just have a different diet than the regular person. We eat just in an unconventional way -Chelle
I had a picc line for TPN (nutrition through a central line that puts nutrition through this blood stream)



 Then I had a Nasojejunal tube (a tube that goes up your nose, down your throat, and into the jejunum a.k.a.small intestine. That uses formula)
 Now I have a gastronomy/jejunal tube. I feed through the jejunal tube (formula) into my small intestine. I vent (if I get sick) out the gastronomy tube which is in my stomach. That entails a huge syringe and pulling out my stomach contents. Yuck

No comments: