Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Mental Health.

good morning folks! I write today about counseling... Have you ever seen a psychologist or psychiatrist? I am right now and I have to say I think it is a very good thing. Being sick has been quite the trail these past 7 years and has brought to me much anxiety and just kinda beaten me up. My brain even retrained itself and now I have Panic Disorder ( a curable condition)  But I am not going to be ashamed we are all human and no one is perfect...though I do encourage counseling if you are struggling with something hard or just having a hard time mentally. There is no shame in getting help if you need it and their is no shame in admitting you need help! Elder Jeffery R Holland gives a wonderful talk on the subject Like A Broken Vessel. I suggest you if haven't before click the link below and listen to the beautiful talk ... it may just make you're hurting heart and spinning head feel better :) WE ALL STRUGLE. it is really okay. Elder Holland even talks of his own personal time of struggle. He also talks of Stephanie Nielson...she is incredible! Some of my favorite parts of the talk are:
 "So how do you best respond when mental or emotional challenges confront you or those who you love? Above all never loose faith in your Father in heaven who loves you more than you can comprehend ."
"if things continue to be debilitating seek professional skills, and good values. Be honest with them about your history and your struggles. Prayerfully and responsibly consider the counsel they give and the solutions they prescribe. If you had an appendicitis, God would expect you to seek a priesthood blessing and get the best medical care available. So too with emotional disorders our Father in heaven expects us to use all of the marvelous gifts he has provided in this glorious dispensation."
" Broken minds can be healed just the way broken hearts are healed. While God is at work making those repairs, the rest of us can help by being merciful , and kind"

I know trials are hard... I too have had many being sick my hardest... but I keep my redeemer's love in my heart and when times are dark I pray... even when I feel it's hard to pray and those times I feel upset because things "aren't MY way" I still pray he hears me, he knows my sufferings, he is kind and gracious and most of all my father in heaven loves me very much as Elder Holland spoke, He also knows more than ourselves what is best for us in this life. This I know don't let fear of help get in the way... you are strong, with God all things are possible such as healings! Our father in heaven wants us to seek medical mental health just as you would a "broken leg" or anything else.  He loves you I love you. Never be ashamed in fact I suggest stand tall and be proud you are strong enough to get help and that you are not a quitter and you are amazing and wonderful more than you could possibly know. And if you love someone with any mental agonizing... be there. Be their support. Be their friend. Love them with your whole heart for you are needed. God gives us each other to help support and love each other. and I am just throwing this in because I feel the world always needs a reminder as well as myself.... say kind words always. Hurtful words stick and spread darkness, hatred,& evils. Be that spec of light in this big old world! Lifting someone's spirits usually result in lifting your own I have found.
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2013/10/like-a-broken-vessel?lang=eng#watch=video